- Purchase a heater that is listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
- Keep the heater at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn, including people.
- Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
- Place the heater on a solid, flat surface.
- Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off to turn the heater off if it tips over.
- Keep space heaters out of the way of foot traffic. Never block an exit.
- Keep children away from the space heater.
- Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet. Never use an extension cord.
- Space heaters should be turned off and unplugged when you leave the room or go to bed.
Types of electric space heaters:
- Oil or water-filled radiator: Heated oil or water travels through the heater.
- Fan-forced heater: A fan blows warm air over metal coils.
- Ceramic heater: Air is warmed over a ceramic heating element.
- Infrared heaters: Heat is created by infrared bulbs.
Fact: Nearly half of all space heater fires involve electric space heaters.