Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Water Tower #1 Inspection June 16

The Village of Bellevue will be conducting mandatory inspection on our Water Tower #1, located at the corner of Willow Road and Erie Road, beginning June 16, 2017. The inspection process is anticipated to last about one week. As a result of the inspection, affected users will experience a noticeable drop in their water pressure as we prepare for the inspection, during the inspection, and then until the tower is back in full operation. Homes and businesses affected are those on or east of Ontario Road only. Any questions may be directed to the Village’s Public Works Department at (920) 468-5225.

Friday, May 19, 2017

APWA: May 21-27 is National Public Works Week

The week of May 21st is National Public Works Week. The theme for this year's National public Works Week is "Public Works Connects Us," examining and celebrating the vital role public works plays in connecting all of us together. As the cornerstone of civilization, public works provides, maintains, and improves the structures and services that assure a higher quality of life for our communities. Its streets, roads, bridges, and public transportation keep us linked together from coast to coast, and its clean water and sanitation services keep us healthy and allow our communities to grow and prosper. During the week of May 21st, if you see any of the Village's Public Works employees out and about, please be sure to wave and thank them for their many years of dedicated service to our community and in keeping us all connected.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

NFPA: Electrical Safety around Swimming Pools, Hot Tubs, and Spas

For many of us, water activities equal fun. But it's important to be aware of the electrical hazards while enjoying the water. Know how to be safe around swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas.

  • If you are putting in a new pool, hot tub, or spa, be sure the wiring is performed by an electrician experience in the special safety requirements for these types of installations.
  • Outdoor receptacles must have covers that keep them dry even when appliances are plugged into them.
  • Ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) are special devices designed to protect against electric shock and electrocution. They are required for most pool, spa or hot tub equipment. They may be in the form of an outlet or a circuit breaker. Test the GFCIs monthly according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  • Electrical appliances, equipment, and cords should be kept at least 6 feet away from the water. When possible, use battery-operated appliances and equipment, such as televisions, radios, and stereos.
  • Avoid handling electrical devices when you are wet.
  • Make sure that any overhead lines maintain the proper distance over a pool and other structures, such as a dicing board. If unsure, contact a qualified electrician or your local utility company to make sure power lines are a safe distance away.
  • Do not swim during a thunderstorm.
  • Have a qualified electrician periodically inspect and - where necessary - replace or upgrade the electrical devices or equipment that keep your pool, spa, or hot tub electrically safe.
  • Have a qualified electrician show ou how to turn off all power in case of an emergency.
Know the Risks!
  • Be aware when skin is wet or when surrounding surfaces, such as the grass or pool deck, are wet. Wet skin or wet surfaces can greatly increase the chance of electrocution when electricity is present.
  • There are several signs of electrical shock. Swimmers may fell feel a tingling sensation. They may experience muscle cramps. They may not be able to move. The may feel as if something is holding them in place.
  • If you think someone in the water is being shocked, turn off all power, but do not attempt to go in the water. Use a fiberglass or other kind of rescue hook that doesn't conduct electricity to help the swimmer. Have someone call 9-1-1.
  • If you think you are being shocked while in the water, move away from the source of the shock. Get out of the water.

Friday, May 12, 2017

2017 Recycling Guide

The 2017 Northeast Wisconsin Recycle Guide was recently updated and distributed.

To see the guide and learn more about recycling visit the Brown County Resource Recovery website.

Check out their extensive YouTube videos as well. They provide great detail and tutorials on many materials including cans, cardboard, plastic bottles, pizza boxes, styrofoam and so much more.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Open Book & Board of Review Scheduled

The Village of Bellevue contracts with Fair Market Assessment to serve as the Village Assessor.  The Village Assessor can be contacted at (920) 468-9698 or at assessor@new.rr.com with property assessment questions.

Open Book is annually held before the Board of Review meeting and is when the assessment roll is open for examination. The Village Assessor is required to be present for a minimum of two hours while the assessment roll is open. Property owners with questions or requests regarding their assessment are encouraged to contact the Assessor directly and/or attend Open Book. Open Book has been scheduled for May 17, 2017 from 2:00-4:00 p.m. at Village Hall, 3100 Eaton Road.

If adjustments to the assessment roll are not completed by the Assessor or at Open Book, property owners may make arrangements to be heard by the Board of Review.  Board of Review has been scheduled for May 31, 2017 from 6:00-8:00 p.m. at Village Hall, 3100 Eaton Road.  Property owners that want to appear before the Board of Review should contact Karen Simons, Finance Director/Clerk-Treasurer with the Village at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.

Friday, May 5, 2017

NFPA: Safety with Oily Rags

Oil-based paints, stains, and varnishes are often used for home improvement project. It is common to use rags to wipe up spills or clean brushes. But wet rags can ignite on their own. They can start a fire if not handled carefully. The same is true of the liquids themselves.

How can rags start a fire?
The oils commonly used in oil-based paints and stains release heat as they dry. If the heat is not release in the air, it builds up. That is why a pile of oily rags can be dangerous. As the rags dry, the heat is trapped. The heat builds up and finally causes a fire. Be aware that this does not happen wit h water-based finishes.

How can liquids start a fire?
Vapors from flammable and combustible liquids can ignite, causing a fire. There are many commonly used flammable liquids. Gasoline, lacquers, and nail polish are just a few examples. There are many commonly used combustible liquids. Paint thinner, kerosene, and oil-based paints and stains are some examples.

Rags wet with paint and stain
  • Never leave cleaning rags in a pile. At the end of the day, take the rags outside to dry.
  • Hang the rags outside or spread them on the ground. Weigh them down. Do this so they do not blow away. make sure they are not in a pile. Keep them away from buildings.
  • Put dried rags in a metal container. Make sure the cover is tight. Fill the container with a water and detergent solution. This will break down the oils.
  • Keep containers of oily rags in a cool place. Kepp them out of direct sunlight. Keep them away from other heat sources. Check with your municipality for information on disposing of them.
Liquids that can catch fire
  • Flammable and combustible liquids should not be sued near an open flame. Do not smoke when working with these liquids.
  • If you spill liquids on your clothing, remove your clothing and place it outside to dry. Once dry, clothing can be laundered.
  • Keep liquids in their original containers. Keep them tightly capped or sealed. Never store the liquids in glass containers.
  • Use gasoline only as a motor fuel. never use it as a cleaner. Never use it to break down grease. Never bring gasoline indoors, even in small amounts.
  • Store gasoline ONLY in a container that is sold for the purpose. Make sure the container is tightly capped when not in use. NEVER store gasoline containers in a basement or in the occupied space of a building. Keep them in an outbuilding, a detached garage, or a shed outdoors.
  • An average of 1,600 home fires per year are caused by instances of spontaneous combustion or chemical reaction.
  • An average of 800 home fires per year are started when oily rags catch fire or are ignited.

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Bike & Walk to School Day - Wednesday, May 10

Why Walk or Bike? It’s fun! Remember the thrill of riding a bike for the first time or walking to school that first day?

There’s a feeling of joy and independence —a sense of adventure—that doesn’t fade. When walking or biking, parents and children get to appreciate things they don’t notice while driving—listening to the sounds of the neighborhood, seeing friends and neighbors and feeling connected with their community. Parents, children and friends can enjoy one another’s company without the usual distractions.

Join us on May 10th and consider biking and walking to school. Most of all, it's fun! Village public safety providers will be doing their part to promote this day and make it safe for all who participate. Learn more about the day at the Walk & Bike to School website.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

2017 Citizen's Academy Graduation

Congratulations to the 2017 Village of Bellevue Citizen's Academy graduates. A graduation ceremony was recently completed at the April 26th Village Board meeting recognizing the citizen students for their attendance and participation in our Academy. The Bellevue Citizen's Academy will be held again in spring 2018.

The following graduates were recognized:
  • Jeff Adams
  • Michelle Cheslock
  • Kyle Ford
  • Ellie Frey
  • Shawn Geiger
  • Brook Hurwit
  • John Kindt
  • Pete Kirschling
  • Rachel Kline
  • Susan Lesneski
  • Melanie Siebold
  • Sue Tortenson