Smoke Alarm Safety
- Install at least one smoke alarm in every bedroom, outside of each sleeping room area and on each level of a multi-level building.
- Test each smoke alarm regularly.
- Keep batteries fresh by replacing them at least annually.
- Check the manufacturer date on your smoke alarm. Consider replacement if it is over ten years old.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarm Safety
- Consider installing a CO alarm in the hallway outside of each sleeping room area.
- Test each CO alarm regularly in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
- Permanently wired or plug-in CO alarms should have a battery backup. Keep batteries fresh by replacing them at least annually.