Picking the Tree
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
Placing the Tree
- Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2" from the base of the trunk.
- Make sure the tree is at least 3 feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat cents or lights.
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
- Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.
Lighting the Tree
DID YOU KNOW: Nearly one third of home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems?
- Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer's instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.